People tend to see the public schools as the enemy instead of a place where the enemy lives. It needs to be enveloped with the love of Christ. It is a battlefield and Christ does not call us, as adults, to withdraw into our Christian circles but to be warriors in an eternal battle for the souls of these children and their parents. At the same time, being examples of a fearless parent to our children, willing to advance the kingdom through discipleship and obedience on the battlefields of our home and our culture.

Are We Wasting What We've Been Given?

I have read articles and books about people in other countries and times in history and how they have suffered, and wondered why God put me in America in this time period. It just didn't seem "fair" that I would have it so well, while others suffered so horribly. These people used those horrible circumstances to bring glory to God and to give thanks in all things.
Joni Earekson Tada, a quadraplegic, says in her article for Answers Magazine, " I'm convinced my response to my wheelchair has a direct bearing on my capacity for joy,worship, and service in heaven. Of all the things I may waste here on earth, I do not want to waste my quadriplegia!" John Piper writes in his article "Don't Waste Your Cancer" on http://www.desiringgod.org/, about 10 ways to waste your cancer, to not utilize the crisis that God has put in your life for His glory.
I don't have any of those problems. Isn't it even more evident that I should not waste being an American? Having the liberty to share the gospel freely and in the public arena, including the schools? And taking advantage of opportunities that lay themselves at my feet?
God has put me in America in the 21st century to NOT waste what he has given me. He did not put me in America during the Civil War to be a part of the underground railroad, or in Berlin during World War II to hide Jews. But he has asked me to adopt a sibling group of five children, to share the gospel in the public schools and to trust Him more in ALL circumstances. I see everyday how I have wasted opportunities, my money and my time on things that just don't matter. Ellen Vaughn in Time Peace, tells us that "God gives us enough time each day to do His will for that day." We all are here in America for "such a time as this". How much of your time,which is given to you by God, are you wasting?


This blog is about ways that God has shown me to NOT waste the opportunities which have been given to us in America.



Thursday, August 20, 2009

Your undercover assignment

Did you prayerwalk? Well, prayerwalking is a way for God to bless what you are going to do, because you have prayed over it first and God is now paving the way.

One of the best ways that we have found to get into the school is through donating wholesome Christian books to the school libraries. If you have children in the school system, it is, of course, easier to get the books into the library. I make friends with the librarians and just have my kids start bringing in books. If the whole idea of spending that much money overwhelms you, why don't you start with one book at a time? Make it part of your budget for the month. I use my birthday and Christmas money and buy whole series of books. I don't need the money for anything and I find the satisfaction of giving to the school library more rewarding and satisfying than any pedicure or massage. As a special treat for the librarians, I or one of my kids (that is not in that school) may write an Accelerated Reader (AR) test for the book. This is, generally, a series of 10 questions which test the reader's understanding of the book. (Don't forget to also write the answers!) This saves the librarian having to write or purchase the test. This is not necessary to donate a book, but it definitely keeps the relationship between you and librarian very friendly.

Librarians prefer hardback or librarybound over paperback because they last much longer, but many books are not published in hardback. The very popular books I rebuy every year because they start to fall apart. If kids are reading it, I want to make sure they have access to it. In fact, the librarians will start to see the popularity of some of the series that they are willing to buy more with their own funds!

But what if you don't have kids in the school? You could donate through a friend who has kids in that school. What about becoming friends with the librarian by volunteering at a book fair, or joining a book review panel or every once in a while volunteering in the library, binding books or reading to kids or checking books out etc? If you homeschool, why couldn't you make it a family volunteer activity? It wouldn't have to be weekly, just sometime during the year to foster the relationship.

Many people are intimidated by the public schools, thinking it is this horrible place with wild kids roaming the hallways. I think, you will find it much different than you expected. The staff will love to have you volunteer at their school! Very few parents, let alone citizens appear to care about the school, especially in the middle and high school. The librarians at my kids' schools are overwhelmed that I buy books for their school. At least in my district, they have been very positive in my selection of books that I have donated.

Start out with books that are not controversial at all-maybe some wholesome books that aren't necessarily Christian and then move into more and more blantantly Christian material.

So what Christian books are popular:

Elementary school:
  • A Life of Faith series by Martha Finley,
  • Cul-de-Sac kids series by Beverly Lewis,
  • Faithgirlz series,
  • Sisters in Time series
  • Sugar Creek Gang series by Paul Hutchens
  • Trailblazer books by Dave and Neta Jackson-missionary stories!
  • Any youth books by Bill Meyers

  • The list is endless!!! Go to the Christian bookstore or an online Christian distributor for all the choices.

Middle school and High School:

The selection of books for this age level is more limited but there are some great ones! Any book I have donated to the middle school is on the hold list, showing it's popularity. The middle school libraries are filled with secular, completely hedonistic, ungodly books that must be balanced by good Christian literature. But the only way they are going to get balanced is by us donating books to balance the choices. If we don't donate, then the only choices the kids will have will be less than desirable. Some of the books that I have found are very popular with middle schoolers (there are plenty more that I haven't even donated..)

  • Color Me series by Melody Carson- you will find these books to be a little "raw" for a more sheltered environment but tackles middle school and high school issues with gusto. It is a blantantly Christian book with the youth coming to Christ at the end of each book. What were once high school issues when we were kids are now middle school issues. These books address jealousy, cutting, Wicca, confusion etc. This is the series that I replace every year because they are so popular. My own children have known kids in middle school that already cut themselves and are involved in Wicca. The books have better helped my kids understand the emotions behind the behavior as well as helping unsaved kids see a solution to their problems. I cannot recommend these highly enough!!! Some of the books may be put on the the book shelf for mature readers only, which is fine. If a child in the school wants to read them, they have to have their parents permission. If the librarian hesitates taking them, allow them to go on this shelf, they will still be checked out!! If you want to take a look at a sample, your public library could have copies of these books. This series is definitely suitable for high school.
  • The Lost Books by Ted Dekker- another hot item, even the librarian can't get enough of this series, she wants the next in the series when it comes out so she knows what happens next! The White, Red and Black series would also be popular but overall more suitable for high school.
  • The Door Within Trilogy and other books by Wayne Batson
  • The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black- an allegory of the entire Bible!
  • Run, Baby, Run by Nicky Cruz- a story of a gang leader turned Christian-very popular. A teacher I know buys this story in bulk and gives it to kids who are in gangs or have families involved in witchcraft.
  • Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris-challenging youth to do more than what is expected of them.

  • This is only a short list, there are plenty more! Check out the sections in your Christian bookstore

I donate other secular books that I find are wholesome, if I find them on clearance etc, but I spend my "real" money on Christian books.

If the librarian hesitates in allowing certain books on their shelf, just remind them that you are only providing balance to the library.

Your goals for this week are to meet your librarian and donate one book.

Wait until next week when you find out what we were able to do!!

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment